- DNA analysis for paternity and other genetic disputes
- Secure chain of custody from collection point to laboratory
- Rapid turnaround: all results back in 5-7 working days
From custody cases to proof of lineage…DNA genetic testing can hold all the answers
Working in the family courts, supporting child custody cases, we’ve developed a robust DNA testing service. Mostly, this takes the form of paternity disputes for local authorities testing child support claims or rights of access. But DNA has wider applications too, so we’re geared up to support a range of genetic queries.
Talk to us about:
- Proof of paternity, from any age after birth
- Testing the bloodline: grandparents, siblings and other family members for disputes involving inheritance, missing persons or adoption
- Y-STR: testing Y-chromosome DNA to establish male lineage
- Secure sample collection – including prison visits
A quick and simple test
We know a DNA test, and all it entails, can be stressful for all involved. So we’ll get the job done quickly, with minimum fuss.
It starts with a DNA sample, taken at a convenient location – usually a home address or solicitor’s office. We recommend a solicitor or social worker be present as a witness – however such an appointment can proceed without a witness as photographs are taken of the person being tested.
This is verified by a Social Worker / Solicitor before samples are sent to the laboratory.
We’ll take the sample with four swabs, which we rub inside the cheek for up to two minutes. Once finished, swabs are sealed in a sample pack along with a signed consent form – then sent off to the lab, following rigid chain of custody protocols.
Then comes the analysis. Our MoJ-listed lab partners hold Section 20 Accreditation under the Family Law Reform Act of 1969. They’ll examine the swabs for DNA-rich buccal epithelial cells, that find genetic matches with 99.9% accuracy.
Courts and other agencies can then make decisions with confidence, knowing this procedure has been followed to the letter.
Consent & Identification
We follow strict legal protocols at every stage of testing. So when we collect the sample, we’ll need to see photographic ID like a passport or driving licence.
The person tested will then be asked to sign a consent form, to confirm they gave the sample willingly and agreed to the test.
If we’re testing a minor, the consent form is signed by an adult with parental responsibility. They’ll also need to supply ID.
By following these steps, and the protocols set out for laboratory testing, we can minimise the risk of one party disputing the results.
Why work with Atkinson Lewis?
- Fast, efficient DNA testing for public and private law cases: 99.9% accuracy in 5-7 working days
- All testing conducted by trusted partners in ISO 17025 UKAS Accredited Testing Laboratory – certified for multiple tests inc. DNA genetic testing and hair/blood testing for drugs and alcohol
- Friendly, non-judgemental sample collectors working in most UK regions – highly trained to follow strict chain of custody protocols
- Transparent pricing for LAA approval
- Split-billing between all parties involved
- Hands-on customer service team, working all hours to take on new instructions
- Paperless system – from Digital Court Bundle to secure document storage
In custody cases, DNA testing can support the MIFA report:
Medical Interpretation of Forensic Analysis
Or click below for other ways we can support your case:
In Private & Public Law Cases
You Can Rely on Atkinson Lewis
An incredible job!Really helpful staff and second-to-none customer service. They are all really approachable and friendly. The collections are always on time and professional. In fact we have never had to deal with a situation in which they have ever let us down. As a result I think we take their brilliant service a little for granted! Thanks Atkinson Lewis for an incredible job!
Always my first point of call
Very helpful and approachable and always on hand to answer any queries. They are very accommodating in terms of setting up appointments and make the process very easy for legal services. Excellent service provided and always my first point of call for any alcohol/ drug or DNA testing.
How Can We Help You Today?
We’re here to assist with private and public cases in the Family Courts. If you’ve got a question, need a cost or you’re ready with an instruction, give us some details and we’ll get back to you quickly.