Facts about DNA and DNA testing!
What is DNA?
DNA is a long molecule that contains our unique genetic code. Like a recipe book, it holds the instructions for making all the proteins in our bodies for growth, development, and overall health.
Our DNA contains our hereditary material and our genes, the things that make us unique.
Facts about DNA that you might not know:
1. DNA is the acronym for deoxyribonucleic acid.
Johann Miescher discovered DNA in the 1860s, but it wasn’t given its name until later.
2. About 99% of human DNA is similar to that of every other human.
It is the other 1% that gives each of us a unique identity. As a DNA fact, it might seem strange to think as we all look and sound different, but it’s true!
3. Human DNA is 98% identical to chimpanzees and 40-50% to a garden cabbage!
Another DNA fact might really surprise you, but it’s true! Human beings also share many DNA similarities with many other living animals.
4. If you stretched out and linked the DNA in all of your cells, together they would be roughly twice the diameter of the solar system.
The strands of DNA in each of your cells stretched out would be 6 feet long x by over the 30 trillion cells in your body.
5. A child gets 50% of their DNA from each parent.
A child’s traits are determined by the appearance of their parents and by the genomes of all their direct ancestors too.
6. DNA testing is used by solicitors in custody cases to prove lineage.
Working in the family courts supporting child custody cases, Atkinson Lewis has developed a robust legal DNA test service.
Why use Atkinson Lewis for DNA testing?
- Fast and efficient DNA testing services for public and private law cases. Our legal DNA tests have a 99.9% accuracy rate and take 5-7 working days.
- All testing is conducted by trusted partners in our ISO 17025 UKAS Accredited Testing Laboratory.
- The laboratory we use is certified for multiple tests, including DNA genetic testing, segmented hair drug testing, and hair and blood alcohol testing.
- There are friendly and non-judgemental sample collectors working in most UK regions. They’re highly trained to follow strict chain of custody protocols.
- DNA testing service with transparent pricing for LAA approval.
- Split-billing means that DNA testing costs can be shared between all parties involved.
- Hands-on customer service team, working all hours to take on new instructions.
- Paperless system DNA testing – from Digital Court Bundle to secure document storage.
Legal DNA testing